Sunday, February 19, 2012

Around The World Challenge

I've  been participating in the Around the World in 52 Books Challenge on Goodreads.  So far I've read books from sixteen different countries, and have started the seventeenth. Above is the current map of my book destinations from Travellerspoint

The list of countries and historical periods that I've "visited" so far is as follows:
  1. Ireland  670
  2. Japan  19th century
  3. Mongolia 12th century
  4. Laos 1978
  5. Israel 1977
  6. Mexico 16th century
  7. Greece  5th century B.C.E.
  8. Egypt   The Present
  9. Haiti   late 18th century-- early 19th century
  10. Sri Lanka  1990's
  11. France  15th century
  12. Canada 1940's
  13. Scotland 1950's
  14. England 16th century
  15. Iran  17th century
  16. Bhutan  earlier in the 21st century
  17. Australia  18th century

I'm posting the Around the World challenge book review that I wrote that received the most votes on Goodreads.

                                                                   Klee Wyck


I had considered reading The Forest Lover,which is a novel about Emily Carr by Susan Vreeland , as my Canada book for Around The World in 52 books, but I'm glad I didn't settle for Emily Carr at second hand. She writes lovely prose.

Here is my favorite quote from this book:

"Down deep we all hug something. The great forest hugs its silence. The sea and the air hug the spilled cries of sea birds."

Emily Carr traveled to various Canadian First Peoples villages to sketch their totem poles and other carvings. I think she may be patronizing about their religion, but she has compassion for them as victims of persecution and tries to help them stand up for themselves. In one village where all Caucasians had been expelled, they welcomed Emily Carr.

There are illustrations of three of Emily Carr's paintings in this book. I particularly loved her painting of a mother and infant carving.




No comments:

Post a Comment